starting over

Getting rejected for a job sucks. It's as simple as that.


However it's the feedback that really bothers me. I rarely get more information than "the other candidate had more experience than you" This is a fair enough idea except it opens up a failing in the current job market. I can't afford to work for free (again!) nor do I have the time to do a course alongside my current job. If skilled workers are being pushed out of their jobs and graduates are competing against amazingly able people who have been doing the job for years how is anyone ever going to be able to improve? 

Where I understand the logic of employing someone who needs little to no training to get stuck in with a role, a whole generation of young people are stuck in part time, contract and temporary jobs which again negatively impacts on their future career options as they have never had stable employment. It's a vicious circle. 

When it comes to rejection, it's always going to be a blow, but I'd rather have some serious feedback relating to my CV, my personality and how I present myself. I can take criticism and rolling with the punches is always a good life lesson.

If you ever have the privilege of employing someone, please bear in mind that tired cliche rejections help no one, spare five minutes and give them a real reason. They'll thank you for it, I promise! 

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

25. Fen-girl. Cat Lover.